Have you ever struggled with knowing your true identity?
Asking yourself, “Who am I?” Allowing what others say about you define who you really are?
Letting your circumstances characterize what you believe about yourself?
There have certainly been times in my life when I’ve been guilty of those things. I think we all are quick to put too much weight into other people’s opinions of us.
AN AUDIENCE OF ONE
I wonder how our lives might change if we chose to focus more on God’s truths, letting who God says we are resonate deeply in our hearts instead of listening to the world around us.
It’s time to stop being defined by others, our circumstances, our failures and even our own thoughts and condemnations, and start raising our eyes and our hearts up to Heaven. This upward movement is the breakthrough that we, as daughters of the King, need in order to not only believe this, but to live out God’s promises and truths about who we really are.
The Bible reads as the most epic love story of all time, telling us of the great love that God has for each one of us.
He created us in His own image, yearns for a deep and meaningful relationship with us, and relentlessly pursues us throughout our entire lives.
So, what does this love story say about how God sees us? Let’s jump into the pages and see what Scripture says about how God sees each one of us.
YOU ARE LOVED
Scripture tells us repeatedly how love is at the essence of who God is. He is full of love for us and He wants to lavish that love on us.
- I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.” Jer 31:3 (NIV)
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Jn 3:16 (NIV)
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Rom 5:8 (NIV)
- “We love because he first loved us.” 1 Jn 4:19 (NIV)
What a beautiful truth to remember. Our God loves us. Each and every one of us. No matter what we have done, He loves us at our worst. There is no condemnation. Only love. And it is a love that is so deep that it never runs out.
YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD
That love is so vast that He desires a relationship with you. One in which you are not His servant, but His child. His beloved daughter. Chosen and handpicked by Him alone.
- I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” 2 Cor 6:18 (NIV)
- “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” Jn 1:12 (NIV)
- “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.” Rom 8:14-16 (NIV)
- “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith.” Gal 3:26 (NIV)
What a comforting promise to know that our faith in Jesus transforms us into God’s own children. We enter into a royal family, surrounded by other believers as we profess that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
YOU ARE RIGHTEOUS & REDEEMED
When we choose to accept Christ as Savior and Lord, we become redeemed through the blood of Jesus. Scripture tells us repeatedly of the beautiful redemptive gift that Jesus poured out to us on the cross that day.
- In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us.” Eph 1:7-8 (NIV)
- “But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.” Rom 3:21-22 (NIV)
- “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Cor 5:21 (NIV)
What power and comfort knowing that God sees us blameless in His eyes and redeemed by the sacrifice of His only Son. Nothing less.
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL & VALUED
As God spoke life into our very soul, He formed our inner beauty. He breathed worth and value into our hearts and those things cannot be taken away by anyone or anything. The book Song of Songs tells us God’s romance for us and how He finds beauty and value when perhaps no one else does. Listen as He tells us how much He loves the way that we are made.
- My beloved spoke and said to me, “Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me.” Song 2:10 (NIV)
- “You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.” Song 4:7 (NIV)
- “How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful!” Song 1:15 (NIV)
If we could only see ourselves the way He sees us. Beautiful. Worthy. Valued.
YOU ARE HIS MASTERPIECE
Throughout this great love story, God is weaving one very important theme into our lives. We are His masterpiece. His very creation in which He breathed life into. He wants all that we have, and He wants to give all that He is to us. We read of the depth of His gifts throughout Scripture.
- Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price.” 1 Cor 6:19-20 (NIV)
- “… and in Christ you have been brought to fullness.” Col 2:10 (NIV)
- “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Eph 2:10 (NIV)
He takes great care in doing so, weeding out the imperfect spots and replacing them with His love. It is a journey. One that lasts a lifetime, but one that is so worth it. Because in His eyes, we are worth it!
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your great love for us. For seeing us like no one else does. For believing in us and shaping us throughout our lives. Help us to see ourselves through your lens: as beloved daughters who are loved, righteous and redeemed, beautiful and valued, and as your very own perfect masterpiece. In Jesus’ name. Amen.